Round gourd also called baby pumpkin, is a vegetable grown for its immature fruit. Round Gourd is a green colour, apple-sized, sour fruit which can be eaten cooked, candied or pickled. It is regarded as a super food because of the health benefits it provides. It contains antioxidants and inflammatory agents which help in controlling blood pressure, heartdiseases, strokes and prevents cancer formation. It contains a lot of fibre which helps in digestion and prevents diarrhea.
Lentils are legumes, seeds of a plant whose botanical name is Lens ensculenta. They grow in pods that contain either one or two lentil seeds. Lentils are available in different varieties. They are either whole or split. It is a nutritionally mighty member of the legume family and are a good source of cholesterol-lowering fibre. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of seven important minerals, our B vitamins, and protein, all with virtually no fat. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up- not out.
So let’s now discuss a recipe which is a combination of two super foods…
- Indian round gourd (small)- 250 grams
- Soaked split yellow lentil- 100 grams
- Cumin seeds- ½ t.
- Mustard oil- 2 tbsp.
- Coriander powder- 1 t.
- Garam masala- ½ t.
- Turmeric powder- ½ t.
- Red chili powder- 1 t.
- Salt as per taste
- Grinded and roasted cumin seeds- ½ t.
- Grinded fennel seeds- ½ t.
- Asafoetida- 1 pinch
- Dry mango powder- 1 t.
- Finely chopped green coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- Take 1 tbsp. oil in a pan and heat it. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Then add the soaked split yellow lentil and keep stirring it.
- Then add coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder to the mixture and cook it. Add salt and let it cook.
- Once it’s cooked, remove it from flame and add ground and roasted cumin seeds, roasted fennel seeds, garam masala and dry mango powder. Mix it well and keep aside.
For stuffed round gourd
- Peel off round gourds and remove their pulp.
- Now, fill the pulpless gourds with the stuffing and tie each of them with a thread in order to avoid stuffing spilling out.
- Take 1 tbsp. oil in a pan and put the round gourds in it. Let them cook slowly on low flame. It will take around 15-20 minutes to cook.
Garnish stuffed round gourds with green coriander leaves and serve hot.